Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Video Package

Like an idiot, I went to Centro Latino to shoot my video today before reading the help articles. Some of the concepts and tips suggested in these articles I did indeed practice, namely capturing the various shots (establishing, close-up, etc.). Still, other tips like re-establishing shots and interview techniques definitely would have came in handy. I feel like I came out with a wide variety of situations, shots, and angles, and I was even excited to realize that I had captured some of those “gee whiz” moments in which one of the kids made a funny face, tripped, or sank a difficult basketball shot.
The idea of creating a story with a clear focus is probably my biggest dilemma now. Quite honestly, I’m pulling my hair out in an attempt to find a different “angle” or story to tell at Centro Latino. After every shot, I struggled to find a meaning or its place in a larger package, but towards the end of the day, I really did begin to see a vision of how all of this could fit into a story.
One of the more ethical decisions I had to face was during basketball. I could capture the kids shooting, but without doing an “essential pan” (which I wasn’t too good at) to capture the action, I couldn’t see if the shot was made or not. I did capture just the basket, which could easily be edited together to show a kid making the shot or air-balling, depending on the effect I was going for. And while that is indeed a simple solution, I know it’s just unethical. As Lynda would say, “dang conscience.”

No comments: