Thursday, March 13, 2008

I'd rather be explained "visual mediums" through a visual medium.

Although literature on “how to write for a visual medium” and “writing the package” nicely spells out how to go about doing our work, they are remedial and, quite frankly, boring. I do appreciate how thorough Shook’s piece is, and the basics of visual journalism he discusses are undeniably important. However, it strikes me as a tad ironic to find myself reading a chapter from a traditional textbook (okay, I guess I did read it in ERes) explaining how to succeed in the newest, most innovative, most interesting form of presenting information. The lesson sticks, but doesn’t resonate as well as it would if I had seen a multimedia presentation of it, such as the .flv file we watched on shot sequences. Similarly, everything I gathered from the article is already what I have seen by watching/reading/engaging in the current news. Just as I believe I learn better from experience, I also believe that I can learn better about visual mediums by watching visual mediums and critically examining what makes great news packages successful.

No comments: