Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Video vs. Text

Samantha Liss

“Conflicts Mount in South America”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/22370745#23469241

Everyday multi-media journalists have the benefit to decide what tool in their journalism backpack would best tell a specific story.

As a visual learner I followed right along with the “Conflicts Mount in South America” story. I’m introduced with a map panning from North America to South America detailing where the conflict is in comparison to where I live.

The story then highlights and briefly describes the history of each conflicting nation, their current and former standing with one another and the United States. Adding to this sound bite is a picture of each nation’s leader and their written name underneath their individual picture. All the graphics keep me intrigued and allow me to understand a rather complex issue.

If this were in text format in either the web or a newspaper, I regrettably admit I would have given up a few paragraphs in to the article. Unfortunately, I would have become confused with where the event was unfolding in context to my current location and the relationships between each nation.

Although, this is a good piece of journalism and captures my attention, it needs to get to what would be the nut-graph of an article sooner. I need to know more about what exactly sparked tensions. This story’s nut-graph is a bit wordy and is not bold enough for an audience’s ears.

I would’ve like to hear a sentence saying,

“Colombia alleges Ecuador and Venezuela support Colombian rebel fighters.”

Instead of,

“Ecuador and Venezuela both deny Colombia’s allegations they support Columbian rebel fighters.”

It hardly seems like a difference on paper, but when listening to the second sentence in context with the video story it is too passive for my ears.

No comments: