Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The World In A Picture

I really enjoyed the article and found it very intriguing! I was a little nervous to just jump-start and head out to take pictures but this article was informative and I found myself jotting down notes. First, I LOVED the picture link. David Snider is now a link on my bookmark bar. His pictures were creative and provoking. The picture with the little boy running through the fountains was so touching. David really captured that moment of joy. The other picture that stuck out in my head was the empty street/buildings with the cat lounging. There was a kind of "stunning" thing about it- and even though there wasn't much going on in the picture, I found myself looking at it for a bit.
But back to the article, I like how he approached the art of picture taking in such a passionate way. He knows every little trick in the book like being prepared and having extra film, gas, cash, canned food- he portrays this profession of photojournalism as an adventure. Which is inspiring to say the least. His tips to blend in and be curious seem like "duh" kind of concepts, but when you think about it... that might be something novice photojournalists might completely look over. My first instinct was to go out take a fantastic picture and be done with it. But there are so many steps to getting that feature-worthy shot. Patience would most likely be my downfall... but it makes sense. There IS something interesting going on everyday, everywhere, but the chances of you being there to capture it might be slim. His analogy to being a hunter, stalking his prey was entertaining and easily applicable. I will definitely be keeping his 12 steps/tips in my notes to remind myself until I get past the amateur stage of photography.

No comments: