Wednesday, January 23, 2008

backpack journalism

I like the idea of the backpack journalist. There is a very Indiana Jones feel to it, not so much the pariah (and a mediocre pariah at that) that Stone imagines. Seeing as I wish to do international reporting someday, could I at least be a super-talented Lone Ranger?

There is indeed the efficiency idea of this one trekker out in space. Financing bureaus in even one international location is always described as a migraine. Unlike Gary Kebbel (editorial director at American Online and quoted in Stone's article) though, I do not this this is a method to eliminate jobs. Even with only one backpacker in even half the countries in the world, that would still amount to a lot of journalists. I refuse to believe that American newspapers even begin to get at the news of any country besides our own, thus backpack journalists offer a method at covering more of the world events.

No comments: