Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Capturing Life

I appreciated the passion LaBelle exhibited in his Great Picture Hunt. It seemed like he really felt a calling for photojournalism, rather than seeing it as just a job. I felt his suggestions on how to seek out photo opportunities were good, particularly the one on eavesdropping. I've found that by spending time in "third places" watching and listening to people is a great way to get inspiration for both journalistic and personal pieces. Having learned about all of these techniques in previous journalism courses, it only makes sense that they would carry through all mediums.

I also liked Snider's photos. They showed how a picture of even the simplest of activities can draw a viewer into not only the frame, but into the subject's world. I realized that my reaction to the images showed that any kind of scene can tell a story, so long as there is someone there ready to take advantage of the opportunity to capture it.

No comments: