Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On the photo prowl

I thought David Labelle's piece on taking enterprising feature photos was both helpful and cleverly written. That being said, did anyone else notice the advice he gave on bringing along extra money to photo shoots for "...emergencies like coffee, phones, tips, or bribes?" I can see how coffee can be an urgent necessity, but bribes? I am assuming this was a very obscure sarcastic remark, but it kind of threw me off! One of the most prominent pieces of advice I took from Labelle was his suggestion to capture humor in a photograph. In the Youtube age, I think we rely on constant stimulation and action in order to elicit some sort of humorous reaction. Being able to capture an entire moment of amusement without words or moving action is a tremendous task, and if done, such a photo has the power to be even more compelling than any dancing hampster Youtube could come up with. This will be my goal in my photo shoot.

While the introduction to David Snider's photos did not leave me with an incredible amount of inspiration, his images did. Perhaps that is the point. I could literally look at the picture of the calloused hand and dirty nails that hold a beautiful rosary for hours. It is so simple yet conveys so much: hardship, strife, faith, hope. Every wrinkle in the hand is discernable, and each crease portrays a million emotions and curiosities in its viewers. And, of course, the little old men in hats walking down narrow streets in France... those images are classically nostalgic, yet they never get old. I loved his portfolio!

No comments: