Thursday, January 24, 2008

Why can't journalists be successful in all areas of the profession?

Erika Adams

First of all, I wish to state that I am a true believer in the success of the backpack journalist. While I understand the main argument contained in, “The Backpack Journalist is A “Mush of Mediocrity,” that backpack journalists are not specialized enough in one area of journalism, I do not think this is true. The ideas presented in this article were interesting points that got me thinking about why I am so interested in backpack journalism/converged media.

Like all professions, we learn best by doing things hands on in journalism. Stone suggests in her article that a back pack journalist may not catch a smudge on the lens, or any other mistake because they are either not trained well enough in that area or do not have enough experience. But, there is always the possibility that a photographer new to the field who received specialized training may make the same mistake (although obviously much less likely).

So, with more training, experience and trial and error, I feel that talented journalist can come close to having just as developed skills in several areas in the journalism field as those specially trained journalists. When I think about the reasons that I have a passion for converged journalism I think about how I have a wide range of interests. Whether it comes to writing, stand-ups, editing, I hope to develop professional grade skills in all of these areas. What is stopping us from knowing and being able to carry out professional journalism through several forms of media.

No comments: