Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wordless

Photos are something I have always loved. Each one is unique and therefore important. While they are something I love to look at, I have to admit I am not that experienced with taking them. I think the article this week by David LaBelle gave quite a few great pointers about not just taking a picture, but really capturing a moment. After all how many times have we all heard the expression "Pictures speak louder than words."? I believe they truly are that powerful. I loved that LaBelle brought up the idea of blending in. This to me means that you are actually taking a picture of a genuine moment. If people are oblivious to the idea that you are photographing them, then I think you are more likely to end up with something really emotional. The emotion is what LaBelle says grabs people's attention, and I couldn't agree more. I would love to be able to take a picture that a person looks at and can actually feel what is going on at THAT moment and what is going on in THAT person's head. Reading this article I experienced two totally different feelings. First was anxiety. I started having all of these thoughts that I might not be able to get a great picture. I am not that experienced and what if my photos come across as dull? That feeling was later replaced with excitement. I am now excited to go out and shoot. The only way I am going to get experience is by doing it, and I believe that is the best way to learn. I think the article had some good advice, but nothing could be more motivating than David Snider's pictures. My favorite one was of the two elderly people in Orange, France, walking in the opposite direction of the arrow. It is priceless. Looking through those REALLY made me want to get out of bed at 11:30 at night and just shoot. I think photographs have the amazing ability to touch someone, and being able to capture that myself is one of my goals. I plan on putting all this advice into action and get a shot that can speak for itself.

No comments: