Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Photo J

Samantha Liss

I think photojournalism is completely taken for granted. The photographs by Dave Snider are fantastic, you first look at them and think 'what are so great about these?' But that's just it, they're so good at capturing the exact moment and essence you underestimate the time and patience that went into getting such a great descriptive photo.

I like that fact that both articles touch on the issue of fear. For those of you who have taken CCJ you know where I'm headed. I think that so often journalists let fear override their ability to really connect with a subject. I know that sometimes I let fear get the best of me. Journalism can be a little overwhelming at times, but for the most part we all love to tell stories and I think we let fear get in the way. I use to second guess myself about majoring in journalism, because at times when covering a story I would get nervous! I thought for sure if I had any sort of fear than this was not the major for me, but after CCJ, I realized that it's a common thing.

The lesson I will take away from these articles, when shooting this assignment, will be to toss aside all my doubts and just go with the flow. To not let fear consume me and let that hinder the relationship between my subjects and I, because when that happens it feels like a big fat elephant is sitting in the room!

No comments: