Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Photojournalism

I appreciate David LaBelle’s acknowledgement of curiosity as an important journalistic quality.  When people hear I am studying journalism, they assume it is because I love to write. Well… I do.  LaBelle outlines some other qualities that are just as essential to journalists.   But the reason I’m not writing children’s books or bad romantic  novels with Fabio on the cover is because I’m curious (not, however, curious in Fabio).  I like to be well-informed—I’m seriously guilty of Googling almost everyone I meet.  Comparing photography as a vehicle for curiosity is a great concept .  In regards to another quality, eavesdropping, I'm pleased that someone finally affirms that eavesdropping can be a redeeming quality. To think of all the wonderful information that I've been deprived of because I was told to mind my own business as a child...what a shame. In all seriousness, LaBelle precisely illustrated the attributes that drive journalists to want to share information.

In regards to photojournalism, Snider's work exemplifies the components of a visually pleasing feature photograph. I'm currently studying photography in one of my art classes and I can't help but notice the many similarities. Snider embraces may elements of design, particularly in the first photograph of the skater on Rockefeller Plaza. And I've always been partial to black and white photographs, which makes these particularly dramatic. From a journalistic perspective, these photographs are excellent because the serve as visual stories (such as my favorite, the man sleeping on a bench in Tours, France).

No comments: