Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Backpack Journalism

As a future convergence journalist, I enjoy the criticism the second article had to offer. If someone calls me mediocre, it's only normal that I work to exceed their highest expectations. I think the idea of a backpack journalist is thrilling, actually. Doing a story and making it completely mine by taking the pictures, shooting the video and creating its text only gives it more of an opportunity to be a whole, succinctly developed story. Yes, 2, 3 and 4 heads is better than 1... but sometimes I feel like that's writing an essay with 4 different inputs. You have a better chance of it flowing because of the one train of thought it's coming from. The post-editing though- still necessary. As a college student, I enjoy my independence- and I think I will continue to enjoy that as an adult... who wouldn't love that in your career? Heading off to another country solo to create your own masterpiece would encourage my creativity. But, like I learned in my previous Cross-Cultural class... the diverse newsroom is there for a reason...to utilize as a sounding board to catch things I might have missed. This resource, I wouldn't neglect to use.
So, bring on the foes and woes of future convergence journalists... but it's here to stay.

No comments: