Thursday, January 31, 2008

But all I got is a photograph

I can see that I'm not the only one who thought that a number of LaBelle's tips were fairly obvious. Nevertheless, he did make a few unexpected suggestions that seemed to humanize and humble the role of the photojournalist. I appreciated his concession that subject matter is often enough to overshadow the formal qualities of a photograph, at least in terms of what grabs our attention and makes us like the picture. And while he occasionally pondered the differences between photographers and photojournalists, it was, perhaps above all, his emphasis on the responsibilities of and qualities in a good journalist that transcend medium.

Likewise, since I haven't been trained to formally appreciate photography on too sophisticated a level, I can't add much to the collective thoughts on David Snider's gallery. I was, though, reminded of the work of Art Shay, who similarly had a gift for capturing the simple joys of everyday life.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

more on Art Shay
http://indianhillmediaworks.typepad.com/artshay