Thursday, October 11, 2007

Writing the package

Su Jing
The article “Writing the Package” does a good job to explain how to write for a video story. I learn from it that a visual story should include a focus statement, a beginning or lead, a middle section with three or four main points and an ending or close.
Among all the elements in a visual story, I think the most important one is the focus. Before go to the spot to shoot, a reporter or a photographer mush have the idea that the story want to communicate, then begin the search for images and words that will most effectively tell the story. This point is very helpful to me.
I think the problem in my last video assignment is that I have no focus, because I didn’t think about what I want to tell. I just shot the things I saw.
Next time when I do a visual story, I will try to summarize the main idea of my story in one sentence.
And another tip in this article is also useful—when arrive at a spot, begin search for a story close shot. I always don’t know when to turn off the video camera. This tip will help me know how to end the story.

No comments: