Thursday, October 11, 2007

Writing for a Visual Medium

A one-man video story involves a lot of work: getting natural sound and video footage, interviewing sources, gathering background information, and editting the footage. What I didn't know is how much writing visual mediums require in order to organize a story or that there was a systematic way to plan what a story should look like.

I really found "Writing the Package" very helpful for the detail it went into about the actual task of writing the story and doing the story. Although I feel the process is open as to how and when the story comes together, knowing how to plan the story before I go out on the field is amazingly helpful and helps me see the product as a story with a beginning, middle and end instead of film put together in an aesthetically pleasing way.

No comments: