Wednesday, October 3, 2007

staging

Andrell Bower
David Wertheimer began his article on staging with an example of photographers taking unstaged photos and the television reporter shooting staged video. If someone had asked me a couple years ago whether I thought television or print news was more likely to be staged, I would have said television. After working at small Missouri newspaper, I'm wiser. The photographer there would frequently stage "candid" moments. I was a new reporter and wasn't sure of asserting myself on the subject, but I was mortified. Even the editor above me seemed to be more concerned with getting a compelling shot than the ethics of using staged photos. Of course, I never once witnessed the reporters for the local television news staging anything. It seems to me that the points Wertheimer and Al Tompkins make about staging are mostly no-brainers, but apparently even some veteran photographers don't get it.
Of course, there are some gray areas, especially with putting audio and video or still photography together. I already ran into this issue with my Big Canoe radio story. I had done an interview at a member's home several weeks before the assignment was due, but I needed some natural sound gathered from one of their farming activities. Of course, this person wasn't going to be at the farm before I needed audio, so I simply went to the site and recorded the outdoors without him. When it came time to decide how to use the natural sound in my story, I figured I should not place it behind the voices of my interviewee because the interview did not take place at the site. So, I just put it behind myself.

No comments: