Wednesday, October 31, 2007

CNN video story example

I watched a video by CNN about how a couple is selling a home that comes with “sellers” and a “money-back guarantee.” I was very confused after I watched this package on CNN.com because what they talked about did not match to the video clips or b-roll. They start out by saying something along the lines of “Here’s one for the real estate books: whoever buys this lovely 2 story brick home will get four bedroom, 3 and a half baths and Bob…” Instead of showing a wide-angle shot of the house to show that it is a 2-story house, this package shows the front door and only the front door. I would have liked to see a wider shot of the house and maybe a shot of bedroom or bathroom before we see Bob. Once Bob comes on in the video, they placed him right against the refrigerator with the corner protruding through the top part of his head. They should picked a better place or told him to take one step further away from the “wall” and tightened up on the shot because there is too much space around him. I do not think that this reporter did a good job at writing the voice over for this package either. Bob, who I presume to be the owner of this house, told us that the house had been sold twice. The reporter told us that this house had never been sold. If I am interpreting this wrong, the report should have clarified this so that the viewers do not assume the wrong thing. I think that this story would be better as a text story because more information could be given as to what exactly this story is supposed to be about.

No comments: