Thursday, October 11, 2007

Writing for a visual medium

I thought that this week’s reading assignments were very helpful. I never realized how much work goes into writing for a visual medium. In particular, I found the “Writing the Package” article to be the most informative. In writing a television package, you have to first come up with a focus for a story. Then, you have to choose which video clips you want to use. Each story has to have a clear beginning (the lead), middle and end. You, also, have to make sure that the whole story flows well together and has logical transitions.

I think that when I have to do my television story next week, it is going to be very challenging. While I am shooting the video, I will have to think about what clips I will need to effectively convey my story. This will require a lot of planning. Editing the video into a concise television package will be just as difficult. Even though I know that writing for a visual medium is difficult, I am eager to get out and write my first television story.

No comments: