Thursday, October 11, 2007

Writing for a Visual Medium

After reading this week's articles, I wish that I had had these resources while I was putting together a TV news story with my group for J2100 just a couple weeks earlier. "Television Field Production and Reporting" introduced a lot of terms and techniques necessary for the production of a TV news story. It helped reinforce some of the things we learned in class on Wednesday. The pictures in the article were also very useful because it helped me visualize some of the techniques that I had a hard time grasping through the article's explanations alone.

I thought that "Writing the Package" was especially helpful because it broke down the fundamentals of a solid TV news story step by step. I never would have thought that a one to one and a half minute long news story could consist of so many elements. The one part of the Poynter article that really caught my eye was NPPA president Clyde Mueller's list of five things he tries to do in every story. I feel like his list very concisely summarized the important points from all three of this week's readings.

Xenia Shih

No comments: