Friday, August 24, 2007

why backpack journalism?

I get the feeling that a lot of people who have been in the business for years feel threatened by backpack journalism. It’s new and people fear what they do not know. While there is legitimacy in some of the points concerning potential journalistic shoddiness, I think if we start teaching journalists first and foremost what it means to be a journalist, and then give them all of the tools they need, there shouldn’t be a whole lot of room for exaggerated multimedia.
We live in a world propelled by changing technology. I personally feel more prepared knowing that one day I will be able to confidently report on a story and produce it in a medium that will reach public audiences. It doesn't matter how good the journalism is if it never reaches an audience. I argue that it's possible to produce great journalism and be well trained in the field of convergence.

No comments: