Thursday, August 30, 2007

Advice I'll take

I’m having computer issues. Thanyarat Doksone was nice enough to post on my behalf – Mark Lewis

I’m thrilled that we’re delving into photography, specifically composition, so soon after the start of the semester. We all know that strong visual elements, photography chief among them, are the cornerstone of superior storytelling. David LaBelle, in his inspiring essay on photojournalism, made that point explicit. My only complaint: the fax-quality ERes pages didn’t resolve the sample work. What a disappointment.

It’s hard to say what I liked best about his piece. I suppose it would be the overarching metaphor that the best photojournalists are like hunters. They’re on safari, stalking through the wilderness of a crowded city plaza, eyes alert for the trophy animal – a candid moment of life. That’s a damn good job to have. I also like LaBelle’s insistence on the practical matters of photography. He goes so far as to recommend what items you may want to keep in your glove compartment. That’s a level of detail you don’t often find in instructive essays.

No comments: