Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Backpacking it" is our only option

I believe Jane Stevens is right when announcing “In a few years, backpack journalists will not only be the rule, they'll rule.” At least, to a certain extent. Personally, I’m glad I am not going into newsprint journalism right now; I’m scared about its future. And talk about low job security! I do think that there will continue to be a separation of these mediums for some time though. We will still have nightly news, specialty magazines, and radio shows for a long time. It’s not like every medium will be consumed by the WWW Monster. I see it as producing deeper stories and providing the public with more information, which is what the media is (should be) all about, right?
At the same time, Martha Stone makes a good point in saying that three-men teams can usually produce better quality results, and this is where I don’t know what to think. Yes, that’s probably true, but that isn’t taking into account the ferocious business side of the media. More and more newsroom jobs are disappearing to make budget cuts and increase profitability, and I’m not sure that is going to change. So instead of having fewer people and trying to stretch the crews out to cover the same amount of stories, why don’t we rely on these backpack journalists? It may not be as high-quality as it could have been, but there simply aren’t enough people to go around anymore. Therefore, this seems like a viable adjustment. Am I missing something here? It just seems like the media’s business side won’t allow our old ways to continue.

No comments: