Wednesday, August 29, 2007

photojournalism on the streets

Andrell Bower
David Snider differentiates between street photographers and photojournalists, but I think the kind of photography he is talking about is the same kind of photography David LaBelle is talking about, yet LaBelle refers to his work as photojournalism. I mean, mannequin legs sticking out of a tractor tire?
Either way, both create photos that impact readers although the photos might have little hard news value. After reading LaBelle’s guide to finding and shooting good feature photos, I’m pretty convinced that despite the apparently little hard news value, he obviously works hard to get out into his community and document life, which is an important aspect of journalism along with keeping an eye on those in power.
Feature photos were often the only photos on the front page of the small paper at which I recently worked, so I understand their value first-hand. However, I wonder how practical LaBelle’s advice will be to our assignments, which are tied to a news story.
My favorite of Snider’s photos is probably the first on the list in Rockefeller square because of the composition. I was disappointed at the quality of the photos in the electronic reserve reading because they weren’t readable half the time and probably would have added to the lesson.

No comments: