Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Photography is like hunting but without the blaze orange jumpsuits.

While I don’t hunt, I do fish. Does that mean I’ll be a good photographer too? I can wait for the fish to bite, but I also know how, where, and what to use to increase my chances of snagging that trophy winner. Not to mention, if I see a big fish in front of me, I go for it. I could see applying those traits to photography; maybe David LaBelle is on to something.

David Snyder certainly must be a good hunter or fisherman. His photos captured everyday life in a way that made them not so everyday. I think photos like his can tell as much about society as any news story, which I imagine was his goal. Taking pictures without someone’s consent is something I already know I’ll have to work on.

No comments: