Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Street and Hunt

I was really drawn to Snider's street pictures. I am an avid photographer too but I admire Snider because he is much more daring than I am. He is willing to capture human emotion and isn't afraid to get in there and shoot. I am much more timid than he is.

He went out to live a dream in the Big Apple and dared and eventually admitted to being a street photographer. I like how he differentiates the term from photojournalist. I love shooting photos but Snider captures our world in a way most people don't see, 'a watcher of humanity' as he claims.

I also liked how LaBelle admitted right away that he wasn't perfect at every type of photography, that he had weaknesses and I would apply that to me in shooting as well. And he even admits that feature shooting is an 'acquired skill' and a practice that is never ends.

It is not easy when describing to someone how to shoot a perfect photograph. It is a combination of many elements and many people give me weird looks when I tell them that I shot 1,000 photos a day on my recent trip to Alaska. It's like LaBelle comments about the old needle and haystack saying for a perfect if not decent photo. LaBelle outlines (with helpful examples) on what a good feature photograph is and how to acheive one.

No comments: