Thursday, August 30, 2007

Photo J

Sarah Orscheln

After reading these two guys' accounts of how photojournalism has inspired them I have come to the conclusion that nearly every photojournalist I've come in contact with is passionate about what they do. Without heart, they fall flat. Both Labelle and Snider were/are successful at what they do because they deeply care about every aspect of the subject/object they capture with their photography.

My favorite photo in Snider's slideshow is the last one. It's of his parents in Washington, D.C. They are both holding on to one another and grasping a white cane in the other hand. I assume by the photo that both of his parents are blind. While his intro was touching and it told us about his life and experiences with photography, this last picture tells us a lot more. Imagine growing up being insanely successful at something neither of your parents could begin to wrap their minds around. Try explaining the capturing of light to someone who has never experienced light. While I can't be sure about any of these assumptions, I think this photo captures the essence of what photography can be.

No comments: