Friday, August 31, 2007

Photojournalism Readings

Lindsey Foat

Snider’s photos and LaBelle’s “hunting tips” are inspiring. As someone who is guilty of boring, point-and-shoot photos, I learned a lot about how to improve. Reading LaBelle’s suggestions I even started to generate my own ideas on the best ways to approach our photojournalism assignment. I was also struck by LaBelle’s highly accessible, yet colorful writing style, and I found myself wishing I could have him as a teacher. Many of his suggestions for hunting down features photos, would have come in handy while I was trying to generate my three story ideas.
I also really related to both photojournalists’ passions for documenting life and community. One reason I’m a convergence journalism major is that I want to be able to report stories using multiple media. Studying Snider and LaBelle’s photos it’s easy to see why photojournalism is potentially one of the most striking ways of record an event.

No comments: