Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Photojournalism Safari

I really enjoyed reading David LaBelle's piece about hunting for photographs. Reading this was more like attending a lecture taught by a fun professor, except I don't know if I would have enough room in my car for all that he prescribes to have on hand just in case. This piece really showed me how much work photojournalism is, in terms of really seeking out the heart of a subject. I don't really consider myself an expert photographer, so it was very reassuring to find a professional hear that even he doesn't always take the best pictures. The hunting comparison, which I thought was very humorous at first, really was very accurate. A photojournalist is constantly on the hunt, per se. It's not just a one-two-three job; it's a process that I never really thought through. One has to wait for exactly the right moment to get the true essence.

Though it was A LOT of information, it was very helpful in gaining some tips on where to find the story and how to capture it once you have found it. The examples featured were great with variety and relevance to the particular topic at hand. My favorite for this piece was the kids in front of the pie contest, because, let's face it, who doesn't get excited about pie??

I also really enjoyed browsing David Snider's "Street Pictures". It was all everyday life that no one would really think to take pictures of. I am all for giving a new twist on the basic. My favorite of these photographs was the boy and the sprinkler. The pure joy on his face is what makes the photo come alive. I hope that I will be able to do the same when I take photos.

No comments: