Thursday, August 30, 2007

Photojournalism Readings

David LaBelle's advice on how to be a good photographer was definitely much needed and very much helpful. He brought up a lot of good points that I never would have thought about- for example, that a photographer should try to blend into his or her environment so as not to disrupt society. Even more useful was his list of items that a photographer should always have on hand in case of emergencies. Additionally, I found myself thinking about similarities among the photographs that I have seen and loved, something I probably wouldn't have done if I hadn't read the "Interaction" portion of the reading.

My favorite photo out of David Snider's gallery is the photo of a child and a giant bubble blower. After viewing all the photos in the gallery, that photo left the greatest impression because something about it- maybe the subject matter, maybe the black-and-white contrast- made it so striking.There is almost a dreamlike quality to it because of the way the photo is split into two halves, with the bubble on the left and the child on the right, and I think that that is what makes it such an interesting photo.

No comments: