Saturday, June 2, 2007

Ethics from the Poynter Institute

Some of the suggestions written in this article I thought were common sense, but they were things I never would've thought of on my own. For example, when the author talked about taking a storm picture and then addding sound from before or after the shot was taken isn't ethical. Why I can understand this fact, I still don't think I would've thought of it on my own.

Also, I liked the refresher about not using songs unless it was taken from the scene of your story. Using soundtracks or pre-recorded audio is not ethical. The songs must have been hearded at the scene that day.

I liked the idea of using the front page story check to see if your story is ethical. You must ask yourself that if a newspaper called you and wanted to run that story on the front page, would it be okay?

No comments: