Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Flash with convergence journalism

Flash journalism is one example of interactivity whereby the user can control what they want to see or hear on the Internet. It brought in a new meaning for websites. With flash, websites were no long just texts and still pictures. One can have video, audio, slideshows, sound slideshows and other multimedia elements such as interactive maps and pictures. With flash, convergence journalism was born.

Therefore, one of the things I set out to do for myself is mastering some flash expertise. As a convergence journalist, I am expected to be able to deal with all the multimedia skills. More than once, I caught myself being in awe of websites because of the magic they could created with flash.

My feeling is that one can also be too carried away with flash. Just like a simple website might do a better job than a fancy but complicated one, sometimes too much interactive stuff can be confusing. But its importance is impossible to ignore and anyone in this field thinking that they can survive without knowing how to deal with flash is certainly kidding themselves.

No comments: