Monday, May 26, 2008

Pictures of the Year Blog- Lauren Stine

I really love this assignment because I secretly always wanted to be a photo journalist, but was always too worried that I didn't have enough talent. I always really liked taking photos of things that were unusual, meaning that these photos were usually of objects or scenes that most other people wouldn't think to shoot. For this reason I really enjoyed the CPOY Magazine Photographer Of the Year winner. Even though these are journalistic photos, they aren't hard news; they are very imaginative and are taken from creative angles. Photography is a chance for a person to capture a scene from a perspective that a person might not normally see it from. I felt that all of his photos did exactly that- they took scenes that could have been taken in a boring fashion and made them something new and inventive to look at. I really liked the 1st photo in the "District 8" series that Tamas Dezso took because it challenges the viewers perception. I had to read the caption to understand that the man in the foreground wasn't really a man at all, and was instead a mannequin that had been vandalized. I like this photo best because it really engages the viewer and keeps them coming back for a closer look. 

No comments: