Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I feel that backpack journalism, if utilized properly, is the future of our craft. Why is it such a bad thing for a journalist to be able to branch out of what they are comfortable with, be it radio, TV, print, and do their job by covering a story in more than one way, and therefore giving their company a leg up on the competing news outlets. I was uncertain of what sequence I wanted to apply to in the J-School but then I heard about Convergence and what it had to offer. I feel that majoring in Convergence Journalism will open up so many more doors for me when it comes to jobs straight out of college and giving me a huge advantage over those that I am competing against because I have more to offer to a company than just being really good at one thing.

It isn't like Convergence gives you only a little bit of information about TV, radio, web, print, etc. but gives you exactly what you need and allows you to still make an emphasis in one as well. I still don't know what I want to do with my degree but a Convergence degree will not only be attractive to more news outlets but can open up jobs at companies that don't have anything to do with journalism.

Personally, I'd much rather be good at 5 things than great at 1 because odds are there are thousands of others that are just as great at that 1.

No comments: