Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Backpack Journalism

I believe that backpack journalism is a respectable profession. I personally feel that a person can be very talented at a variety of types of journalism, if they are given the right tools and the right training. A convergence journalist may not be as skilled at each type of journalism, but they are much more capable of keeping up with the current trend of journalism moving online. A backpack journalist can deal with situations where they are forced to go to an event and produce a multimedia package that can reach all different types of audiences. This is valuable because it allows the news outlet to produce their pieces fairly quick, and to reach a large number of people. I don't think that the work has to suffer because it should still be edited by an editor who can make each aspect of the package up to the same par as a piece done by a team of journalists. 
  I personally will probably never be a professional convergence journalist because I am interested in being a magazine designer, but I believe that having a broad journalism skill set is going to make me more marketable to future employers, and will empower me to tackle any type of journalism job I have in the future. 

No comments: