Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hey, maybe the digital age could use a few Martha Stewarts.

The main criticism against "backpack" journalism is that converged journalists spend too much time learning everything, and never learn to do anything well. Also, Martha Stone argued that backpack journalists would eliminate jobs.

While I agree with Mrs. Stone when she says that backpack journalists should be the exception, not the rule, I disagree when she says that they are a jack of all trades, master of none.

I for one, would really like to be a backpack journalist, mainly because I'm interested in many different media, and not because I'm trying to be a "Martha Stewart of the digital journalism age". I completely nerd out about web design and video editing, but that's just me. I think that it's possible to not only know how to work with multiple media, but to know how to work with them well. Although, I completely understand it when people have one particular media that they want to specialize in.

I also believe that convergence journalism will not eliminate jobs. Even though a convergence journalist can do it all--they could always use a little help. I think that there will always be a place for people who just want to write all the time, or take photos, or edit video. 

No comments: