Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Can't wait to get a cool vest with lots of pockets...

From: Mindy

Luckily I'm not planning on being a backpack journalist (it sounds painful), but instead a long-format television video producer of feature stories, capable of transforming those into multimedia stories on the web (so wait, maybe I am going to need that backpack). Stone states, “the do-it-all journalists should be the exception, not the rule,” and I would agree. I don’t believe a multi-media journalist is going to replace everyone in the newsroom (at least not yet, although I think any journalist would be better off knowing as much as possible about other mediums). And while learning to be a broadcast journalist, print journalist, photojournalist, and web journalist might take more time, just like any other profession, there are probably going to be some areas that come with more ease and others that take more work.

It doesn’t have to be a “mush of mediocrity” with proper training and effort. Stone said, “Specialization as the prevailing employment strategy has stood the test of time with other forms of journalism,” but I think she’s wrong because we are specializing in something—multimedia storytelling. Though a successful multimedia story probably isn’t possible with a one-man-band operation during breaking news unless you had multiple people at the scene performing different tasks-- sometimes it happens so fast.

I believe multimedia storytelling is here to stay, whether I'm wearing a backpack or not.

No comments: