Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Web design

After reading chapters six and eight of “The Non-Designer’s Web Book,” I learned about several taboo web elements that I would have likely otherwise never thought about. Tips that suggest not leaving link buttons default blue, ensuring that viewers do not have to scroll sideways, and not including any blinking elements seem perfectly logical for a professional website. These chapters suggest that sometimes a seemingly simple site may actually be less confusing and more elegant than one that is gaudy and cluttered. It is not always necessary to prove that you know how to use flash animation if the page is user-friendly and easy to navigate in the first place.
For our final group project, I plan to work on the website whenever I get a chance because I genuinely want to learn more about web-design. I know next to nothing about designing web pages, and believe that this will be an excellent opportunity to employ what I have learned. I hope that we follow the CRAP guidelines—Contrast (maybe a light background with black font), Repetition (repetitive elements that add a sense of consistency to each individual page), Alignment (everything left justified whenever possible), and Proximity (grouping related elements together). These chapters also recommended spell-checking every page, so I will likely type all of my text into Word before copying it to Dreamweaver.

No comments: