Wednesday, April 4, 2007

CRAP

After reading about web design, I understand why looking at the web page I made for this class makes me cringe. Funny how that works for every assignment in this class. You would think I would learn to read ahead, but it never happens. The “CRAP” rules make perfect sense, and are things that I would think about if I were designing something for print. I guess I was thinking about the web as something more abstract, with nearly limitless possibilities. Sure, you can do a lot of things with a website, but if you try to do too much, everything you are trying to communicate will get lost in the labyrinth of orphan pages, poor navigation, bad alignment, etc. Simplicity will always get the point across. This may take a lot of time and nuance (catch word of the class) with Dreamweaver, but it is much better to have a pleasing, if amateur, website over one that you hope will be taken off the web and soon so you can save yourself from the nauseating experience of having people view the disasters you’ve created.

No comments: