Thursday, April 19, 2007

Having been something of a "techie" for quite some time, the use of Flash isn't new to me. I love what interactive elements it can add to an already engaging report. However, I think as more journalists move towards Flash to do their storytelling, careful lines will need to be established. I don't think the interactivity of a game could justify foregoing important journalistic practices. I wish more examples had been used as when to provide Flash content. For example, the earthquake example was clearly powerful, but do all news stories merit a slideshow? Some simply do not.

Still, I love the capabilities of Flash. Just when we were working through the tutorial today, I started brainstorming ways to make Flash work with our existing plans. I think the reading helped me realize it's necessary to use Flash as a tool in storytelling, and not just a way to make the page look (pardon the pun) flashy. I want to incorporate more Flash elements into our content in addition to having Flash help create our design. I think it's good to look for those opportunities, though, rather than create them. Flash and interactivity will have a lot more meaning to audiences if it serves a specific purpose other than impressing viewers with a Flash component.

No comments: