Thursday, March 8, 2007

writing for visual media

By far, the most helpful of those three readings was the one about writing the package. I felt that, for the most part, much of the information in the video editing section was already discussed in class on Tuesday. I have never written a timeline like the one that I now know is common in broadcast journalism. I tried once in 2100, but found it to be more of a waste of time for the project than a help to me.

This article gave me a deeper understanding of the proper formation of a television news report. When it talked about planning a story, then having to go back again and reformat your plan after you have shot your story is something I can take to heart. Somehow, things never really go the way I plan them. I think it is a good idea to prep yourself for what you want to shoot (you cant shoot something for a story without really understanding what your angle is).

One thing that concerns me for the upcoming 2 minute video project is the fact that I will be doing both the camera work and the interviews. When I do my entrance and exit to the piece, I don’t know exactly how I will get myself properly in the frame with no one to tell me if I’m off. This wont be a problem as much on the group project, but I am concerned about this for the first try.

No comments: