Saturday, March 3, 2007

ABC International News: Violence In Afghanistan

I watched an ABC News video titled "Violence on the Rise in Afghanistan." I thought it did an excellent job combining b-roll footage into interviews along with news elements like sound blips from President Bush and even footage from a video released by Al-Qaeda, which tied into the clear, cohesive message of the story well.

I found two major problems with the way ABC does their video. First of all, they have an annoying "ABC News" super in the bottom-right corner at all times, which is distracting and annoying to me. Secondly, they fail to identify just who it is they interview in the clip (or if they did, it is buried such that most users would never know)! Whoops!

Edit 3/3/07: I forgot to mention another major problem I had with ABC News's video features. They provide a handy playlist with nested programs to pick which clips you want to play, but they plan an absolutely obscene amount of advertising with each clip! If I hadn't already decided to use ABC International News for this assignment beforehand, there is no way as a casual user I would have stayed through the near minute-long string of advertisements (one after another, without any indication of when they would stop or how long they would run) to see only a little more than that length of content. They have some nerve making users sit through that much advertising for their content. That's all.

No comments: