Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Random musings...

I'm going to have to agree with everybody else who has posted and say that I feel like an idiot for not having read this or known about "preplanning" about two weeks ago. It makes so much more sense now! I finally feel like there is sort of a blueprint or at least general guidelines and that this project doesn't have to be (or, more specifically, it definitely shouldn't be) just a shot in the dark. The main difficulty for me lies in the whole "field work" area and having to think on your feet to find ways to keep the story going. I'm hoping this will be something that comes with experience and that more opportunities to shoot/create packages will lead to a better understanding of what to look for to create those segueways or find incredible closing shots. One thing about the article that sort of confused me was when he was describing possible shots for a visual of "healthy foods taste better." One suggested sequence was a woman reaching for the apple, checking out, and then cutting the apple at home to give to her daughter. What I'm wondering about is how you get to the point of going into her home? Is it really that easy for a journalist to approach a person in a store and follow him/her into his/her own personal life? I don't think I could ever feel comfortable doing or asking for that and it startled me a little to realize that it must actually happen. I guess that's not about *writing* for a visual medium but more the gathering of footage, but it's still something to think about.

No comments: