Tuesday, February 27, 2007

80lbs Hamburger!

From Evan Groll
(first a question, does anyone have any idea why I am never able to sign in. I've tried entering both my email and my display name under "username" and neither has worked. Each time I post I have to create an entirely new account. Any help?)

The video I watched can be found at:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=38b5af59-7379-4593-b183-6b8d65204ec7&p=hotvideo_m_edpicks&t=m5&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/&fg=

It's about an 80lbs hamburger and its creator. It costs over $300 and is going to be submitted to the Guiness Book of World Records. Over all, as a features story I enjoyed the video. It definitely grabbed my attention and the sound bites flowed right over the video. It was short and sweet as well, only about 40seconds. I felt as though the reporter did a good job of narrating, but I would have liked to hear from the creator/restaurant owner as well. The reporter talked the entire time, leaving out the actual voices of the story. Personally, I want to know how and why the owner chose to create it? How many tries did it take? etc.

As a story, I think the effect would have been little to none if it were a newspaper article. Without various images of the burger it sounds like a tall tale. As I mentioned before, there were no voices, but the video of the hamburger allowed it to, in a sense, tell its own story. You could see the pound of lettuce, pound of tomatoes and 4 onions slabbed on top of the overweight slab of beef. I think this particular story was definitely a video story, but there remains a little room for improvement.

No comments: