Friday, April 17, 2009

A Columbia Culinary Story...SWEET!

Okay, I know the title of this post is an awful pun, but I have been thinking about it all week and I had to get it out. Well now that that's out of the way we can get down to business. This story was a lot of fun to work on. First of all, Charlie and I got free caramel machiato something or others, courtesy of the Columbia culinary students, as well as a slice of delicious chocolate cake. I really cant think of a better way to start the day. Its a good thing we got those coffees because we sure needed the caffeine. Charlie and I went to the career center twice for about 5 hours each time, once at eight in the morning, and ended up working on the story until 9 that night. Thats a long time to work on a story in one day, but I think all the hard work paid off in the end.

Getting to the end wasn't easy though. We had quite a few technical difficulties with the camera, as well as some human error. The audio levels weren't set to the proper settings on the video camera, which made some of our audio over modulated. Because we were shooting a lot of footage of things that are white (cake frosting, chefs uniform) some of our video was overexposed as well. We realized it halfway through shooting and were able to correct it though, so we salvaged most of the video. It was also very loud in the kitchen so we had to deal with the humming sound from all of the equipment throughout our audio.

Despite these difficulties, I am proud of our final product. I thought our text piece was clear, concise, and well written. With some help from Victoria and our student editor, I think the video turned out well also. We had victoria look at our video at about 12 on thursday, which I know is a little late, but we had a lot of footage to sift through to make the video. Anyways, Victoria told us that the video didn't really cover any material that the text piece hadn't already gone over. She told us that we could improve it by tightening up the editing, redoing the voicing, and getting rid of the jump cuts. After some consideration, Charlie and I decided to scrap our old video and take a new direction. The focus of the new video was to highlight the winning students, their passions, and how they got to where they are. We rewrote the script, I voiced it instead of Charlie, and we went back to the drawing board in terms of b roll and interview bites. After many hours of editing and several more critiques by Victoria, I think our video turned out well. We also took pictures and ended up choosing one for the story. Overall we had three strong components and I think we deserve a high grade *hint hint*!

No comments: